Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Stepping down my cable

A couple of months back I realized, partly because of my schedule, that I don't watch much, if any TV. The only shows I really liked watching were 'The Daily Show with John Steward' - a left-wing slanted political comedy show that pokes fun at current events, 'The Simpsons' - arguable the most politically incorrect TV show and on occasion 'South Park'. I realized that I could get a Personal Video Recorder (PVR), a la, TiVo, or one of the new Motorola set top boxes Comcast provides, but didn't think it was worth the time and effort of getting a box and the subscription ($27 for digital cable + $10 monthly for the TiVo/PVR subscription + cost of hardware [$100+ in case of TiVo]).

Also, the other thing was that the only time I really watched TV was when I had dinner. And even then I spent most of my time flipping channels, not really watching anything of interest. So I decided to downgrade my cable to get the basic channels and keep my high speed Internet connection and get a monthly movie pass from Hollywood Video. This way, for less than the cost of basic plus cable, I get to watch movies whenever I want. And besides, 'The Daily Show's website has their latest videos online!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home