Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Startup - week 2 - Deadlines and more deadlines....

As always, the beginnings are tough. Time is the most precious commodity. I long for the days in my youth when I'd get bored with nothing to do... Hours, days, zip by - so fast, and yet the inbox seems to pile up. Fortunately the adrenaline kicks in and the caffeine pours in.... (I've migrated to tea to prorate the intake over the 20 hours of consciousness). Its exciting. There's always something new every day - new ideas, new things to learn, new things to try out, new people to talk to, new competition to guard against.

The past few days had been exceptionally hectic. Hopefully it'll only last a few more weeks till things stabilize. The architecture is coming out well, and I'm proud of it - no kludgy design - just well thought out design. Someone asked me why an architect has to know the competition inside out - I guess its to learn from their mistakes and to adapt ours to stand out from the crowd.

The team - make sure to pick the right people. Things can get pretty tense - even the most level headed person can blow his/her top in such an environment. I'm fortunate to have a great bunch of people on mine. We don't mind letting off steam on each other, no hard feelings and its healthy. I've done it to them, them to me. We're in it together and thats what matters. Get a great team - with motivated people. Like my more experienced collegue mentioned to me - just remember that when someone blows off steam, its because they care, its because of the passion in them. Learn to appreciate that passion and not to take things to heart. We've all been there. Relax....

There's always something new to look forward to every day.... its a lot of fun. But I'd still like to get a few extra winks... I've already lost a potential few extra making this entry. But, maybe I'll look back at this some time in the future and smile.... penning off for now. Hopefully I can write something with more insight soon. Tonite, this is just a recollection of thoughts....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home