Thursday, March 17, 2005

TiVo Finally Gets Its Comcast

Impressive that Tivo could finally make this happen. TiVo Finally Gets Its Comcast. All the TiVo fans must be doing cartwheels. I don't know if you know any, but those TiVo fans are probably the most loyal set of fans outside the NASCAR fan set.

Former FCC chairman Micheal Powell is known to have called it 'God's machine' - now thats what I call an endorsement ! Some of my former collegues are such fans of TiVo that I'm sure they'd havemixed feelings that TiVo replaces the Motorola DVR devices used by Comcast.

1 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Blogger Anwar said...

My take is that DVR service in the Comcast world is still relatively new and people are only beginning to start subscribing to the service. TiVo at this point has gone beyond a brand name in the PVR world and is nearly reached 'verb' status, similar to Google. Ex: Hearing someone say 'I need to Tivo this program' is not too uncommon amongst DVR users. Comcast can build upon TiVo's brand name and TiVo can build on Comcast's *wide* spread of subscribers.

Comcast has never been known as a company that develops great content - one look at the Comcast branded user interface for its Digital set-top boxes and even its 'Comcast-branded' TV content is an example.

Partnering with TiVo, whose value proposition and key competitive edge is its user interface enables Comcast to hook their customers in (I'm sure Cocmast will add some branding of their own to differentite themselves). I'm also pretty sure Comcast will drop the idea of the $9.99 bundle for the $12.99 TiVo service pretty soon - as soon as people start raving about the TiVo service... more people will line up for this. I doubt if someone paying over a $100 monthly for DVR+digital cable service would notice the difference - I might, but then I'm cheap... and I don't watch all that TV ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home