Monday, February 02, 2004

Lessons from Martial Arts applicable in the Corporate World

Back in school I had obtained a third degree brown belt in Shotokan (Japanese) style Karate. I am currently learning a slightly different style that is a mixture of Korean and Japanese styles with some street and ground fighting added for flavour. I am a white belt once again - although one who kicks and punches like a brown belt ! :-)

One of the biggest lessons I have learnt from the ring (kumete/sparring) is the fact that I should be ever cautious of a counter move for any move that I make. A punching bag never strikes back. A live opponent is very different. The same is the case in a business scenario or anywhere in real life - you make the strike, but always expect a counter strike - and don't look surprised when it happens. Keep your guard up !

The next time I get on the ring I'll make sure I remember this - both in the dojo (gym) and in life......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home